Tuesday 24 August 2010

The one in which I get fitter

I went for a run this evening. The only time I stopped to walk was crossing a couple of roads where there was traffic to avoid. I then walked another 5 paces after the last road I crossed while I had a few sips of water. Prior to today and despite having done 2 half marathons before the most I had ever run without walking a bit was 2 miles. This evening I made myself keep running and keep running and kept giving myself a you can do it you are strong each step you take is one less left kind of pep talk and I ran 3.05 miles. Which is more than a MILE more than the most I have ever ran without stopping to walk. Previously I have been more of a run/walk person. Today I finally feel like maybe I actually might be able to be a runner (not professionally but you know actually get half decent at this running thing). The training plan I was going to use for the London Marathon this year (before I realised I wasn't going to be well enough and deferred to 2011) required you to have been running for 30mins 3 times per week for 3 months I think it was. The training plan I believe needs to be started either the last week of December of 1st week of January. Being as I managed to run for just over 30 today (yes I am slow paced!) I think I am going to be on target if not just ahead for that training programme. This makes me happy as I am actually improving and hopefully I will manage to keep up training regularly.

I do have a half marathon in October and I do think I am unlikely to do as well as I had hoped when I signed up but at least it is having it's purpose of getting me doing some training. The half marathon is very hilly which is what concerns me. I will be happy to finish and am hoping for a similar time to my last half marathon which was on flat ground. I still have time to get fitter before this half marathon and I think now I know I can actually run a reasonable distance without stopping I will be more motivated and self believing.

I also enjoyed my run this evening as I had time to myself just to think about whatever happened to pop into my head. By the end of it I was singing a song in my head although I can't remember now what song but it had the word step in the bit that was going round my head. (Probably to do with the aforementioned pep talk!)

No comments:

Post a Comment