Tuesday 22 December 2009

Update

I haven't updated in a little while, I have been rather busy and finding the time to turn my computer on and update just hasn't happened.

Healthy You Challenge Update

The challenge is going ok, I haven't been able to exercise much over the last couple of weeks, I have had a lot of occasions when there has been lots of nice foods etc, I have enjoyed the foods but also made compromises to balance it out. A success I feel.

Dad's 60th Birthday

It was my Dad's 60th Birthday on Sunday so we had a lovely family day at home with a nice lunch and then played games and watched dvds. The majority of us also had a snooze after lunch! He is having a party in a weeks time with wider family and friends, I am looking forward to it even though I haven't got anything to wear yet!

Snow

So you know how I said we never get snow? Well we had some last week that settled and then melted and we have it again now. It started snowing yesterday afternoon about an hour before I was due to start work. It stopped just after I got home from work. It settled. I was starting work late afternoon yesterday so while most people were travelling home in it I was going to work which inevitably meant I would have to go home in the poor conditions late at night. I have never driven in snow before, whenever we have had snow before I have been able to walk or cycle. My Dad offered to drive me to work but I felt I would have to bite the bullet and drive myself, I figured at some point in my life I would have to drive in snow. It was fine, everyone was driving slowly and carefully. On the way back the conditions were worse but I made it home without skidding or anything. At one point I was coming up to a junction to turn left and tried to follow the curve as you're supposed to but car decided to go straight, think it probably couldn't grip the road properly. All was fine in the end. In our country everyone makes a big fuss when it snows and places close down etc etc, people always comment how in such and such a country they have loads of snow and no problems. I think the reason we have so many problems is because it is so rare to have snow over here so people aren't used to it.

Giving Blood

I gave blood last Monday, my iron levels were fine :-) the next session I am going to is 26th April, the day after the London Marathon!!! Not sure whether that is a good idea or not. Over here you are advised to wait 16 weeks between donations as it takes 12-16 weeks for your iron levels to return to normal levels after a donation. 16 weeks would be before the marathon but the next session in my town after 16 weeks is the 26th April. We shall see, I may not be able to walk that day!

Other

I still need to finish my Christmas shopping, I need to go into town later on before work to get some prizes for a Christmas raffle we have organised for our customers at work. I also need to get some bits as my friend is coming over for lunch tomorrow and hopefully finish my present buying at the same time I'm in town. This is cutting it a bit fine, I realise I vowed to get my shopping done early this year due to working full time. That didn't happen!

Have a very Merry Christmas all and a happy new year :-)

2 comments:

  1. That definitely sounds like a success! :)

    Way to go on the blood donation! I've thought about it many times, but always chicken out for some reason.

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it has been a successful week! With regards to the blood donation, I was scared of needles before, not the pain but the idea of them gave me the creeps, I would have rather been cut with a knife than have a needle for blood tests etc. I decided I would go to give blood once and if I didn't like it I never had to go again and at least I had tried. I went by myself first time, the staff were lovely and I've never looked back. I'm no longer scared of needles either! So maybe you could go once and see how you get on and if you hate it feel pleased that at least you gave it a shot. Good luck if you do :-)

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete