Tuesday 22 September 2009

Welcome

So today I was welcomed officially to the healthy you challenge, I have had a couple of comments welcoming me already so that's great. I already feel encouraged and supported, thanks guys :-)

I haven't weighed myself today as I was in a rush this morning and I like to weigh first thing, I think that I won't have seen much of a difference in weight yet due to my poor eating over the weekend, so I'll weigh in later in the week or I'll wait until next week perhaps.

I have greatly reduced the amount I eat, yesterday evening I had a mars bar after work and it was so delicious! I feel that I can get away with that as previously I would be eating large quantities of chocolate several times a day as well as crisps, puddings you name it. I found I really enjoyed the mars bar whereas usually I just gobble chocolate down without really thinking about it.

At the moment I am doing some work for someone as well as my normal job, this leads to me being busy and so not thinking about food so much.

As a snapshot here is what I have eaten today

Breakfast- 2 boiled eggs with 2 slices wholemeal granary toast and light margarine-I figured this would fill me up longer than my usual cereal so that I didn't get a massive hunger pang at 10am.
Mid morning-half a seeds and fruit bar
Lunch-peanut butter sandwich on wholemeal granary bread, apple
Dinner-2 small baked potatoes, tuna, green beans and cauliflower

I had to force myself to have the vegetables for dinner, I really didn't want them but the thought of writing my blog post made me eat them. Ever since dinner I have still been feeling hungry, I have decided that I will have a snack later of either a small piece of cheese or some milk as I haven't really had much calcium today.

In terms of exercise I haven't done much lately, I am trying to include more lifestyle exercise. Today I cycled to where I needed to be, I think it took about 20mins each way, I could certainly feel it in my bum muscles, hopefully that means it was doing them some good.

So aims for this week:

Try to eat more fruit and vegetables as although I am eating less rubbish I am still not eating enough fruit and veg.
Get moving more-I am dogsitting as of next Saturday for a week as my parents who I live with are away. So that means I will be going for lots of walks which=good for weight loss and feeling positive. It also means I can choose what dinners I have rather than the 3 of us trying to reach a compromise and trying to have something we all like. I think I will try and make some really nourishing foods to give me a good boost.

This next week is going to be really busy with work and I also have a couple of other things on the to do list in my head, but with careful planning it will hopefully be a healthful week.

Good luck to everyone else taking part in the healthy you challenge x

4 comments:

  1. if you're having trouble getting in veggies because of the way they taste, try looking up some of the recipes from the Sneaky Chef. the recipes are aimed toward picky eaters, mostly kids, but i've made them successfully for friends of mine who are veggie-phobes.

    good job on the bike riding to places! i live way out in the country so biking to places is kind of time consuming (i live about 30-40 mins from anywhere by car)but i wish i could ride more and drive less.

    good luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Healthy You Challenge! :)

    My hubby has two bikes in storage, one of which will hopefully be small enough for me (I'm much shorter than him). We keep talking about bringing them home, which excites me like the first time I rode a bike, but we keep procrastinating. If we can fit it in this weekend, I think my goal will be to bring the bikes home so we can use them before the nasty weather sets in. There's just something so freeing and reminiscent of childhood in going for a bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Erin - my sister routinely purees cauliflower, broccoli and other veggies laying around and then adds them to her pasta sauce - the kids don't even know! :D

    Hang in there - just remember - one day at a time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips. I do find if I add veggies into sauces, curries etc I enjoy them much more, I might try pureeing them into pasta sauces to up the healthiness of them, good idea. I don't think I'm ever going to be someone who really loves veggies but I can happily eat them depending on the dish.

    With regards to the cycling I took it up again last year after a number of years of no cycling at all. It was quite scary at first as I seemed to be going really fast! I do enjoy it though and it's great to think I've had some exercise and saved on using the car. I'm lucky that my workplace is only 1.6 miles away so I can easily cycle there, its not so easy if you live a long way out. Hope you guys get to have a go on your bike even if it's just for a little fun ride.

    ReplyDelete