Thursday 25 February 2010

Disappointing news

Ok so I just typed out a long and heartfelt entry and then clicked publish post and the bloomin thing didn't work and my entry is lost! Not what I need right now. Start again!

It is with great sadness that I must announce I am having to defer my place in the London Marathon to 2011. If you are ill or injured you can defer for a year(only once though so I'd best not be ill again next year!)

Some of you may be wondering where this has come from. I have mentioned on here several times about feeling ill, sore throat etc. There has also been times when I have intentionally not mentioned feeling ill as I do not want my blog to be a complete whinge!

Since the beginning of this year I have had 2 weeks off training due to being ill (thats about 25% of the year so far!!) This sore throat has been bugging me for 6 months! sometimes it's not too bad, others I feel completely S**t (faint, sick, no energy whatsoever). Several people had asked me whether I was still going to do the marathon as they knew how rubbish I'd been feeling and I said yes because I was determined to do it. However after a serious chat with a friend who is also an exercise professional and also taking advice from a couple of others I realised deferring was the most sensible thing to do. How I hate being sensible though!

I have shed a few tears (and more!) about it today, considered not deferring and then decided to move on, train for next year and don't look back. This gives me 14months and I am going to go right back to basics, not running far to start off with and build up to try and help my body recover. I have found a couple of shorter races for later on in the year for me to work towards. The silver lining of this dark cloud is that I should hopefully be able to get a reasonable time next year. If I had tried to do it this year for the sake of it I think I would have struggled to finish in under 7 hours if at all as right now I can barely run a mile or 2 without having to stop to walk or feeling ill!

I hope you guys will understand and support me in my (longer) journey towards a marathon.

I kind of feel defeated, a let down, and a chicken. Like I've taken the easy way out.

Have a good week x

No comments:

Post a Comment